Make horrid scars and gashes.

10.22.2010

The Cast of Eerie Publications perform the Johnson-Smith Novelty Company "Horror Record"



Direct link

Fiends! Boils! Ghouls! So forth! Gather 'round while I spin a tale of... ah hell let me just jump right in -->

So what we've got here is an annual Halloween post that comes wrapped up inside of a link to a project I just finished. How about THAT for a set-up opening sentence! No?

Okay, okay let's get down to the specifics:

This is a short film I made which marries the audio from the probably the WorstBest Halloween record I own (which as you may remember I mail ordered from a comic book ad when I was 8 or so) with the crude and gruesome cover art favored by the company that gave me the most nightmares as a child, Eerie Publications. I know, I know -- "At last!" right?

Some (general) technical info:

It was primarily created in three programs:

Photoshop: This was the most time consuming part. I did lots and lots of visual prep work like eliminating cover text, completing any truncated images (like if there was only half of a vampire or something because it hit the end of the cover page), breaking components out into separate layers and then creating new art that would fill in the holes left by moving those elements around, and so forth.

Motion: This is the program that allowed me to do all of the animation in XYZ (or "3D" you could say) space. Here's the part where I'd move the images around like pieces of paper on popsicle sticks inside of a shoebox stage (well at least that's how it felt to me) and sync them with the audio.

Final Cut Pro: This was what I used to do the final editing together of the various scenes, add the transitions (like the cross fades, etc), and to do the final exporting to video.

All of this took me about 4 weeks from start to finish, which accounts for more than a few false starts and obsessive tweaks. This was actually the first project I had ever attempted to do in Motion and while it turned out to be waaaay more work than I had initially bargained on, I really had a lot of fun.

(Oh, and yeah -- I eventually came to terms with the fact that I was going to have to cut the flogging scene; Eerie Publications just didn't have a single decent whip-heavy cover that I could find. Too tame for their tastes I guess.)

Okay! Hope you folks enjoy the video & my fingers are crossed that I'll see you all again next year!

Boo!

Labels: , ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Dat ol' Varmint said...

Howdy Jason,
Boy, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed that.
Wish there was a way I could save that to watch on a TV screen.
Awesome little film!!
Happy Halloween!!

10/22/2010 8:09 PM

 
Blogger Prof. Grewbeard said...

i didn't even notice the expert flogging was missing, and i have this thing memorized! the images were too engrossing, i guess!

10/23/2010 12:57 PM

 
Blogger Erick said...

That was really cool. Thanks for all of the hard work Jason.

10/23/2010 4:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AMAZING job Jason! That brought back so many memories! If you ever decide to make that available on a DVD let me know.

Fantastic!!!! Happy Halloween!

10/23/2010 5:06 PM

 
Blogger Jason said...

Thanks guys! This really was a lotta fun to do. It was kind of one of those ideas that, once thought, felt as though it simply *had* to come to fruition.

10/24/2010 7:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work! I wouldn't have the patience to do this, Jason.

....and folks, there IS a way to save it to watch on tv (or convert to a DVD):

1. Go to the actual YouTube page for the video, and change the viewing option to the 1080p HD version.

2. In Firefox, use DownloadHelper (or any other similar downloader you might have) to download the HD version, which is a 360mb filesize.

3. To view on a player which plays AVI files, simply run the video (I got it as an MP4 file) through any video conversion program to convert it to AVI.

4. To put onto DVD, simply run the video file you download through any program such as ConvertXtoDVD (which I use for these4 purposes) to convert it and burn to a blank disc.

That's all there is to it!

10/25/2010 3:15 AM

 
Blogger Brother Bill said...

Loved it!

10/25/2010 6:07 AM

 
Blogger Jason said...

@Anonymous: Thanks so much for posting that.

I was thinking last night that I should try to type up a brief outline on "how to download online videos" for folks who don't know the steps, but your breakdown was more succinct and clear than anything of mine was likely to be.

10/25/2010 6:18 AM

 
Anonymous Pauline said...

wow, I think I've stumbled upon the 'Brigadoon' of Halloween, and I feel lucky to be on the other side of the the bridge this time in the lovely legendary island of misfits...wheeee. Amesome reading and listening.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

10/25/2010 9:45 AM

 
Blogger Warren said...

Thanks a thousand times over for your hard work and sharing this Jason! This is exactly what I needed to rekindle the Halloween spark. Fantastic!

10/25/2010 6:36 PM

 
Anonymous JD said...

This is amazing! You should win an award for this. Really great. Thanks for posting!

10/26/2010 6:18 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

It's great to see another post from you. I always start checking out your blog every year around September to see if you're back to posting. I love all of your past posts and hope to see more in the future.

10/27/2010 7:19 AM

 
Blogger Dave said...

Awesome job Jason. I was wondering if there was a way to save it to DVD. I'm wondering if Anonymous' method works on IE? I have a brand new DVD Burner now that'd be great to initiate it with. Thanks for all that hard work again Jason. Happy Halloween!

Dave W.

10/28/2010 9:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was just like reading comic books as a kid. So cool. Thanks!

10/29/2010 7:20 AM

 
Blogger Ol Scratch said...

Wow! Thanks so much. I'n not sure it could have been done better. Happy Halloween!

10/31/2010 5:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason -- just echoing everyone else, that was simply amazing! Incredible job ... might be the perfect Halloween video for kids who grew up with Jim Warren's mags. Thanks for sharing this with everyone!

11/01/2010 9:57 AM

 
Blogger New Year's Day 5572 said...

Soup is ready, enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpKbFO4HdwI

11/25/2010 8:51 AM

 
Blogger Uncle Roy Hoggins said...

Hey man...

Is that download for Ackerman's Robot Music Record still available...and are you in KC...I am in Independence...got a huge collection of KC punk and horror host shit...lemme know. Pleasure to meet ya.

12/19/2010 5:44 PM

 
Blogger Brother Bill said...

Now the question is--who's going to gather all the artwork associated with The Haunted Mansion and do a similar peice of animation to the audio of The Story and Song From the Haunted Mansion???

1/12/2011 8:59 AM

 
Blogger HarveyMidnight said...

"Now the question is--who's going to gather all the artwork associated with The Haunted Mansion and do a similar peice of animation to the audio of The Story and Song From the Haunted Mansion???"

What HE said!

3/13/2011 11:32 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola! Just wanted to drop you a line to say thanks for checking out my blog. I'm glad you dug my brief write-up about your Eerie Pubs/Horror Record video. It remains, in my mind, the coolest piece of Eerie Pubs fan geekery on the internet. It's been very cool to get such feedback from you, man, as Scar Stuff, though inactive is still one of my favorite blogspot pages to visit. A few weeks ago, I spent the better part of my evening go through post after post after post and, I must say, it's inspiring. Your energy and enthusiasm are absolutely infectious. It's impossible not to read things like your reminisces on that Halloween-time store display painting contest you entered as a kid, or your longtime hunt for the Gayle House "Haunting" record (which was actually something I too was dying to find online, but was never able to simply because I couldn't even remember the name of it or the company that made it... I just had the image of that ad, with the cloaked/fanged figure on it, stuck in my head). And there's lots of cool stuff I discovered or re-discovered as a direct result of Scar Stuff. Muchos gracias, mi amigo. I hope you stop by my new blog again sometime in the future, hopefully after I've really gotten into the blogging groove and posted a decent amount of content. Anyway, take care! Stay spooky!!!

6/10/2011 1:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A video of The Haunted Mansion might be really sweet, I used to have the story and song book of The Haunted Mansion. Ron Howard does the voice of the boyfriend. great blog glad my fiend Chris showed it to me. Thanks andhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yDtriIo11s&feature=related

7/23/2011 9:18 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claude Coats was a genius! He was an "imagineer" at Disneyland Anaheim, he was responsible for the really scary parts of The Haunted Mansion and wanted to make it way more scary than it is. One of the other "imagineers" Mark Davis wanted to make it comical and family friendly which can be seen around the Ballroom spot of the ride. It's the best ride at Disneyland in my opinion. I am glad Disney & his team dreamed & created these ideas as it shaped the man that I have become today. Along with the cartoon "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and "Fantasia". All supernatural things are a huge part of what I love in this world, and make it worth living in...for now.

7/23/2011 9:38 AM

 
Blogger Mykal Banta said...

Amazing. I loved that to bloody pieces!

10/06/2011 3:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home